- How much did they cost?
- Why did you adopt from there and not from here?
- Are you going to be one of those moms who won't let them eat sugar? (I explained that I will be all weird about screen time and my husband will be all weird about sugar, and we will balance each other out on both those issues)
- DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH???? (This is freaking out my English only kids, although I don't think a single bilingual kid has asked this.)
- Why did you guys decide to adopt? (Or the even nosier one) Why didn't you have your own kids?
- Won't it be really weird when you first meet them, and you don't know them, but you're all "Hi, I'm your mom?" (this question apalled my more tactful kids, but I appreciated it because--honestly, he's right.)
- What if you don't like them? Can you give them back?
I start these conversations with a slideshow of those few photos we have. Invariably, kids see the photos of Willow and ask, "Is that you when you were little?" I know many adoptive parents look nothing like their kids, but I have to admit that something in me sings when people mistake my little girl for me.